UFC lightweight champion Conor McGregor says he has signed a “Record-breaking deal” to fight Floyd Mayweather Jr. Now, he says, it’s up to Mayweather to do the same to make the megafight happen.
“The first, and most important part of this historic contract has now officially been signed off on,” McGregor said in a statement to Themaclife.com.
“Congratulations to all parties involved. We now await Al Haymon and his boxer’s signature in the coming days.” McGregor did not specify the terms of the deal he signed.
McGregor’s confirmation of the signing came just after UFC president Dana White told TNT that McGregor had agreed to the bout.
“The McGregor side is done,” White said while appearing as a guest on the network’s postgame wrap-up of Game 1 of the Eastern Conference finals.
“I’m starting to work on the Mayweather side now.”I’m not saying the fight will happen, but I’ve got one side done.
If we can come to a deal with Haymon and Mayweather, the fight’s gonna happen.
“ Over the weekend, White told ESPN’s Brett Okamoto that his plan was to lock in McGregor by this past Sunday and then move to firm up Mayweather.
“ While there have been no firm deadlines established for the fight to come together, White has said McGregor wants to fight twice this year.
“He wants to fight twice this year and one of those fights to be Floyd, if possible,” White previously told ESPN. Mayweather on Wednesday said he has designs on McGregor only.
“There’s only one fight that makes business sense,” Mayweather said.
“McGregor’s a fighter. I’m a fighter. This is what the fight fans and MMA fans want to see.”
For more news visit: